Monday, August 17, 2009

Why it's called what it is

I was at the doctors office with my two girls and one of them hit the other one while the doctor was doing an assessment of why my oldest girl is a once-in-a-while fainter. (Of course right? I really thought I had outdone myself bringing a library book about little girl pirates, and my accent was spot on, but who am I kidding and what was I thinking? And also, what does the doctor do that makes me wait longer than the duration of three library books, even at 10:30 am? Are you that behind already? {I love my doctor if she's reading this, and even if she's not reading this you can tell her I think she's great.}) So knowing she's a doctor, and knowing she's also a mom, (with a career: a doctor career,) I feel extra pressure to be a cool, confident mom with just the right discipline technique delivered with a measure of grace and swiftness, so I said, "T, you say sorry to S." She said, "NO," which by the way is one of her most pronounced and articulated words. Then she pouted in a corner. I wasn't overly embarrassed, but all the same, I wondered what my next move would be... I mean a time-out in a teeny tiny room with everyone still inside seems pointless... and that's when I notice the doctor covering her face with her hand so T doesn't see her laughing. I caught the giggles too, and copied the hand to face technique of soundless laughter that moms throughout the ages have practiced when appropriate. It was pretty funny; I was just so caught up in giving a good impression that I almost missed it.
I therefore submit to you, dear reader, my blog, "When Not to Laugh Out Loud," which I see as being a series of anecdotal therapy for my stressed out friends in similar situations, and for myself so I can always remember. (And for selfish reasons because I like humor involving parentheses and you just don't get that sense of ( ) in a conversation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment